First off, please know that making your dream job a reality will take a sustained effort, perhaps 1, 2 or 3 years of part-time effort, but it will be well worth it in the end. Example: Many top-tier employers/federal jobs, especially leadership jobs in the federal government can take 12-18 months or more to secure. The good news is it is worth the hassle because the top tier employers/federal government pay their employees premium wages, generous benefits, company paid vehicles (if travel is part of your job) and a 401K matching bonus, stock options, profit sharing, or a pension once you meet the mandatory twenty year mark to qualify. They also contribute towards your college education or reimburse you for up to 50% of a bachelor's/master's degree/major certifications in the same field.
1. Accumulate industry-specific experience or internships. Industry specific experience is what every hiring manager wants in an ideal candidate. Further, you have a better chance to earn a referral for employment from a Supervisor/Manager/Director/VP in the industry the longer you work in that industry.
2. Earn professional licensing, impressive industry-specific certifications or credentials to impress the hiring committee. Example: Project Managers must work under a Project Management Professional (PMP) for one year to learn best industry practices of project management and then pass the PMP candidate exam to earn the PMP certification from the Project Management Institute.
3. Formal Education: Depending on the job and industry an Associate's, Bachelor's or Master's degree can be the standard/ essential, so you must earn one or target an employer who is flexible enough to accept 5 years of experience as the equivalent of a Bachelor's degree. Some fields strongly prefer a BS, BBA, BA, MA, MS, M.Ed, or MBA, while other require a MD, ND, DDS, Pharm.D., or Ph.D. Thankfully, many of the Most Admired Employers will accept 5 years of industry experience in lieu of a Bachelor's degree. Other professions and trades require an apprenticeship such as an Electrician, a trade which requires professional licensing, a journeyman's license requires a professional apprenticeship where you learn from seasoned professional and a Master Electrician's license requires a certain number of years experience to officially be deemed an expert.
4. Make connections, build and develop relationships with Supervisors/leaders/executives in your industry during business lunches, breakfasts, community service, or Starbuck's coffee breaks. Professional networking remains the number one way into the Fortune 500, the Most Admired Employers, the Fastest Growing Employers in the Inc. 5000, the 100 Best Employers and the Top 50 Employers in the USA. Join the best/most popular professional associations for your particular industry and attend the meetings, seminars and conferences. Every year I am amazed at what my clients tell me happened for them at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES). Who you know and professional networking is so essential to your career advancement that Microsoft paid over $26 billion to acquire LinkedIn (the world's largest, most popular professional networking website) in 2016. The hope here is that at some point, you will earn a few recommendation letters from movers and shakers to top tier employers or several LinkedIn recommendations that distinguish you.
5. Make sure that your professional work history is nicely aligned with the industry you are most passionate about and want to spend your career in. It's a well-known fact that employers prefer to make data-driven decisions and when they see professionals that switch industries multiple times, they tend to pass them over in favor of candidates who are more stable and stick their industry. Let's face it, whether it is trucking and transportation, health care and nursing or technology and procurement every industry requires people to have the right aptitude to thrive in the field long-term. Why should I hire a restless candidate who changes careers every 1-2 years, when I can hire a more loyal professional who has eight years of industry specific experience and only two employers over eight years?
6. Invest in yourself and future success by hiring a Certified Professional Resume Writer/Executive Resume Writer to relieve yourself of the tedious and time consuming task of writing and editing your resume, cover letters and LinkedIn profile. FYI - When you pay professional writers peanuts, you get monkeys. Online resume builders only provide you with a basic typed work history full of boring responsibilities and duties. Cheap and fast typists/resume writers delegate your work to China or wherever the lowest labor cost is currently, which results in a mass-produced, weak, typed work history. ***Please understand your resume, CL and LinkedIn profile must be convincing and compelling marketing and sales documents that build your value, sell you and demonstrate your return on investment. Only an expert will help you with that. So, invest in yourself and future success by hiring a top Certified Professional Resume Writer/Executive Resume Writer. You will be glad you did.
7. Do whatever it takes to become the most desired passive candidate for your dream job on LinkedIn.com, obtain a paid membership to LinkedIn to maximize your visibility and start applying for your dream job as opportunities become available. Set up a LinkedIn and Indeed Jobs widget that will email you when a vacancy that matches your dream job becomes available. Pounce on that opportunity immediately after you are alerted so you are one of the first ten candidates to apply (always have your resume and CL ready). Bypass the HR department aka the black hole and apply directly to the hiring Manager/Director/VP instead. If you do this, your career documents must be top five percent strong because hiring Managers/Directors/VPs are even busier than the HR Coordinator/HR Manager/Recruiter, so you have 10-20 seconds to impress or it's NEXT. What you really need is some solid strategy to distinguish yourself vs. other top candidates (see number 6).
Now because I hear feedback from several hundred candidates who were hired promptly per year, I can assure you that the candidates with the most effective sales and marketing win time after time. However, a personal phone call from a mover and shaker in the industry recommending you to the hiring committee, impressive recommendation letters or several high-quality LinkedIn recommendations are a big help. Likewise, a quantitative approach using an evidence file that proves you are indeed a top performer with independent third-party evidence is a terrific deal clincher. I have attached a "proof of my expertise file" as a PDF to my LinkedIn profile so you can see an example of how convincing an evidence file can be for those on the hiring committee. https://linkedin.com/in/darrelldizoglio Hopefully, you are smart enough to accumulate and archive awards, commendations, team/group awards, bonus award letters, notifications of promotions, President's Club honors etc.
Stop wondering why you haven't earned interviews and hire professional resume writing assistance to raise your game and improve your results. When results matter, http://RighteousResumes.com is the resume writing service you can rely on. I am a Christian soldier in the war on poverty, unemployment and despair. Call me today for help because I care and you deserve great results.
Darrell Z. DiZoglio, CPRW, ERW Executive Résumé Writer, Certified Professional Résumé Writer & Job Search Coach http://RighteousResumes.com
HowToFindWorkNow.org is located in Dallas, Texas, and serves all job hunters nationwide. We gladly accept well-written info articles that assist professionals find employment fast. Expert authors are invited to contribute original info articles in exchange for two outbound links. Send quality submissions to our Editor in Chief, firstname.lastname@example.org thank you. This entire website is protected by copyright 2012-2020, the DMCA, Copyscape and all rights are reserved.